Deep Creek Lake State Park is a Pet Friendly State Park in Garrett County Maryland that lies just west of the Allegheny Front on a large plateau known as the Tablelands or Allegany Highlands. The park is the site of the historic Brant coal mine and homesite, where a restored mine entrance preserves a typical drift or adit mine. The mine was worked for several years by the Brant family and it supplied bituminous coal for heating and blacksmithing in the local community. Over 95% of the park consists of a forest that has regenerated from the original stands of timber into an excellent example of a maturing northern hardwood forest. Oaks and hickories are now the dominant species. Forest wildlife species such as black bear, wild turkey, bobcat, and white tailed deer have grown in numbers over the past decades as habitat has been preserved and managed. Small mammals such as squirrel, chipmunk, raccoon, skunk, and opossum are frequently seen. The park is also home to numerous plant species, some rare, found on the forest floor. The Tableland’s weather is quite unique for the region. Many winters bring over 200 inches of snow and the greening of leafing trees does not occur until mid May. Summers are characterized by warm days and cool nights. Autumn comes alive with blasts of color in early to mid October with clear, crisp days and cold evenings. Features include the Deep Creek Discovery Center, campsites, boating (and boat launch facility), fishing, hiking, hunting, picnicking. Pets are allowed on trails and must be kept on a leash. Please visit the website for fees, maps and additional information. This information is provided as a public service of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. www.dnr.maryland.gov.
- Pets are allowed in Browning, Beckman and Garrett Camp Loops
- Pets are allowed on trails
- Pets are allowed in boat ramp area to board vessels
- Pets are allowed in Discovery Center parking area to access trails
- Pets are allowed to swim from shoreline in all areas except swimming beach, docks or fishing piers
- Pets are allowed in day-use area and lake (except for sandy portion of swimming beach area from Memorial Day weekend until after Labor Day)