In 1927, Elsie Seeger Barton founded the Humane Society of Baltimore County, now known as the Baltimore Humane Society (BHS.) Since that time, Mrs. Barton’s selfless dream of establishing a refuge for abused and homeless animals has since come to fruition, situated on 365 acres of peaceful farmland in Reisterstown, Maryland. Over the years, BHS has provided safe and loving homes for literally hundreds of thousands of wonderful animals. We also operate a low-cost Spay/Neuter & Pet Wellness Center, which assists in helping to control the epidemic of pet overpopulation and serve low-income pet owners with quality pet care and vaccinations. In addition, Nicodemus Memorial Park, on the grounds of BHS, provides a final resting place for many beloved pets. And finally, 343 acres of our land serve as a protected wildlife preserve, alive with deer, fox, several species of birds, and numerous other types of local wildlife.